Sunday, May 21, 2006

Jelly Legs and Bruises

The first shift of work has flown by and, all-in-all, twas a success.

My new co-worker, Hannah, and I were working close to Kitimat, BC in pretty coastal terrain and it was beautiful. The weather was amazingly hot and sunny for the first two days and then we were blessed with some manic weather systems that never got too extreme for comfort: just the right amount of sun, wind, clouds, and sprinkles of rain.

The last block we worked on yesterday was so close to the ocean that we could smell it. Mmm. I miss that smell and always associate it with walking off the plane in Vancouver now.

I think that my body has survived the shift in part due to the fact that I got to sleep at a motel and watch satellite TV every night. Plus the dinner from Haryana's (the best Indian restaurant in Canada, in Terrace, BC) on the first night of the shift energised me for the next few days (but I don't recommend leftovers for lunch because they make for some hefty burps whilst climbing up hills...!).

Jasper is getting in shape (as am I). He had a great day yesterday and is doing fine today (that's the real test, to see if he makes it stiff-free the next day!). Anyway, I'm happy that he's getting back into the swing of things because I was feeling guilty having brought him out here and leaving Des dogless... :(

This is where I'm going this week: Baker Inlet, it's located on the mainland, south of Prince Rupert across from Pitt Island and the Grenville Channel (have fun on googlemaps!). Hopefully there won't be snow! I'm going to be doing pay plots on the planting that's been happening there for the past little while--just finishing up the contract that someone else started. I fly in on Monday afternoon and come out Wednesday. This means that I get to go to Prince Rupert which means that I get to go to Cowpuccino's, the best cafe in the west! The coffee's not A+, but it's good and fancy, it's their baked goodies that are to die for. And the atmosphere. I really like the atmosphere. If I have time on the way back I'm going to get some sushi for the drive home, too, from the best sushi place that I've ever been to. Food for thoughts during the week!

Have a beer for me at Copa and cheer for Oil.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to see the mountains, it's been so long.

I envy your robust, woodsy life.

Go oilers!

R

5:34 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey beb,

Awesome post. I like the photos and am glad to hear that Jasper's surviving. I must admit that I'm a bit perplexed as to how (until the wonderful weekend spent chez Shea with a full belly and feet up) you in the bush seem to be eating better than me in the gourmet cosmpolis of lower Canada.

Keep the photos coming and make those plots pay. What is a pay plot, btw?

Love you

Des

9:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home