Sunday, June 04, 2006

This Is What Rain Looks Like...

Pretty cool, eh? Thought so.

We went to the Nass Valley (North/Northwest of New Aiyansh; North of Terrace & the Nisga'a Lava Beds Provincial Park) for most of the shift and went to the Meziadin for the last day (just north of the Nass). It was pretty all over the place, weatherwise. But, overall, it was quite wet!!! ..which is good for the flowers?!!! (or something like that.)

There was a Grizzly Bear on one of the blocks we worked on, but I missed it :( I suppose that's a good thing, but it would have been a nice 'National Geographic Moment'! Instead, I indulged in taking some flower photos in my, ahem, spare time, which you can peruse on Flickr at your leisure because I'm feeling too lazy to upload them onto Blogger...Flickr's faster!!!

Anyway, it was nice to be back in the nasty Nass: it's where we seem to do the majority of our work so it felt like home sweet home, especially after having to try and navigate a few different road systems over the past few weeks that I was unfamiliar with. (Always mildly unnerving...the thought of beginning work on the wrong block!!! Thank goodness I live with a map fiend, and I'm a bit of one, too...otherwise, lord only knows what could have happened out there!)

Highlight of the shift, or more likely the most unsuitable thing for me to be writing about (but, in hindsight, I thought it was pretty funny so I'll share it with you, but mind my crude sense of humour, puh-lease). So. It finally happened. 'It' being one of those bush nightmares (except it didn't turn out all that bad...I'm here typing, anyway)...the world as your toilet: the world as animals habitat: the world as a bear's habitat, or moose, for that matter. When we were working in the Mez (bug capital), I'd finally hiked my tired butt up a nice hill and there was a breeze on this little ridge. Breezes keep the bugs at bay (but only sort of, in the Mez) so it was as good a time as any to finally take my morning crap that I'd been delaying because I didn't have the energy to fight off the bloodthirsty black flies. Ah. Relief. Woof. Shit, I say (pardon the pun, if it is one). Jasper starts barking his snout off...and my pants are around my ankles. Oops. Bear or moose, I do not know, but it did go crash-bang, that's for sure. Scramble scramble scramble. I safely make it out of there. Walk 100 metres down on my line, and then continue :) Thankfully that area doesn't need to be planted so no one should find my hurredly buried #2. So, I've always wondered when that was going to happen: my privacy being 'invaded' by another creature. Don't they know how to knock? Maybe that's why Jasper was barking so much!

On that note... -L.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home